EDUCATION AND TRAINING- DELAWARE HEARING LOSS ACADEMY AND SPEAKER’S BUREAU
EMAIL HLADE at If you would like to schedule a short talk or more formal lecture or class on some aspect of hearing loss, please email or call us! We will be happy to discuss how we can customize a program for your company, agency or group to meet your specific needs. Please indicate your contact information in your email to or call us! For a LIST OF SAMPLE TOPICS ON HEARING LOSS, SEE THE LIST BELOW. FOR more information on the specifics for scheduling a talk, you can go to Delaware Hearing Loss Academy and Speaker’s Bureau on our “Programs and Projects” page. This is a partial list of all the possible topics!!
We do short one hour basic talks on hearing loss for free to non-profit organizations but we always appreciate any honorarium or donation!
I. HEARING LOSS BASICS
– Introduction to Hearing Loss
– How the Ear Works
– The Power of Sound
– The Impact of Hearing Loss on the Quality of Life
– The Co-Morbidities of Hearing Loss
– Sensitivity Training for Professionals
– Basics of Communicating with Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
– Caregiving for Someone that is Deaf or Hard of Hearing
– Basic Resources and Communication
– Tools to Use with Deaf/Hard of Hearing People
– Living Well With Hearing Loss
– Hiring and Using Interpreters for the Deaf
– What’s That Noise in My Head?
– Keeping Your Balance with a Hearing Loss
– Dogs and Service Animals for Deaf and Hard of Hearing
II. Hearing Loss By Age Group
– Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children
– Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teens
– Deaf and Hard of Hearing Young Adults
– Deaf and Hard of Hearing People at Work
– Deaf and Hard of Hearing People at School
– Lessons Learned-Tools for Parenting A Pre-School Child
with Hearing Loss
– Lessons Learned-Parenting a School Aged Child with Hearing Loss
– My Grandchild Has a Hearing Loss!
– Deaf and Hard of Hearing Seniors
– Deaf and Hard of Hearing People in Senior Living Homes
– Deaf and Hard of Hearing People in Senior Centers
III. HEARING AIDS AND BEYOND
– IT’S A Maze! How to Buy A Hearing Aid
– What Can I Expect From A Hearing Aid?
– How to Buy An Over-The-Counter Hearing Aid
– I Can’t Afford A Hearing Aid!!!
– What’s Next? I Now Have a Hearing Aid!
– How Do I Take Care of My Hearing Aid?
– Beyond a Hearing Aid-Hearing Better in Noise and at a Distance
– What’s the Latest? Hearing Aid Technology Update!
– How to Talk to Someone That Doesn’t Want a Hearing Aid!
– How To Talk to Someone Without A Hearing Aid
– Sports and Hearing Aids
IV. COCHLEAR IMPLANTS (CI)
– What is a CI and How Does it Work?
– Should I get a Cochlear Implant?
– Am I A Candidate for a CI?
– How Do I Choose Where to get CI?
– I’m a Candidate- What to Expect?
– Living with a CI- Consumer Testimonies
– Cochlear Implant Companies
– Research on Cochlear Implants
V. HEARING LOOPS AND HEARING ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY
– Hearing Loops and Hearing Aid Telcoils!
– How Do Hearing Loops Work?
– Options for Hearing the TV better!
– Buying a Personal Hearing Loop
– Hearing Loops in Public Buildings and Congregations
– Hearing Loops in Theatres and Public Venues
– Hearing Loop Demonstration
HEARING ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY
– What’s the Future? Auracast and More?
– What are Types of Hearing Assistive Technology?
– Basics of Captioned Telephones
– Tools on Zoom for Hard of Hearing People
– Apps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
– Telephones for People with Hearing Loss
– How Can I Communicate on a Cell Phone?
– Setting Up My Cell Phone to Hear Better!
– How to Find and Buy Hearing Assistive Devices for Alerting and Signaling
– What is Best for Me? FM, Infrared, Bluetooth, Loop or Personal Amplifiers?
– Cell Phones for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
– Whose Knocking at My Door? Alerting and Signaling Devices for People with Hearing Loss
– Be Prepared in Emergencies! Deaf and Hard of Hearing in Disasters/Emergencies/Police
– Tools and Tips for Driving for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
– What is Real Time Closed Captioning (RTCC)?
– Communication Training for People with Hearing Loss
– CommunicationTools and Tips
– Lipreading? How it Helps!
– Tools for Working with Deaf/Blind People
– Brain and Listening Training for People with Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants
– Listening to Music with a Hearing Aid or Cochlear Implant
VI. ADVOCACY, RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Self-Advocacy for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
– How to Advocate for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
– Resolving Conflict-Key Tools for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
– My Family- How Can I Help Them, Help Me?
– Rights of and Laws for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
– Accommodations for People with Hearing Loss
– The Americans with Disabilities Act for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
– The History of Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
Note: This is a partial list of possible topics!!